Monday, February 23, 2009

And this is why I love community college


I'd like to take a moment to share with you two conversations that I had today.

So today I got to my history class 5 or so minutes early, sat down in my usual seat and pulled out my notes to review for the quiz that we were going to be taking later in the class period. I was just sitting there minding my own business, looking at my notes when all of a sudden this kid sits down next to me and taps me on the shoulder. I turn to face him and this is the conversation that followed:

Me: "Can I help you?"
Random Boy: "Hi, yeah, I was just wondering if you knew where I could get some weed?"
Me: "Excuse me?"
R.B: "You know, pot. Where do you get yours?"
Me: "I have no idea where you got the idea that I smoke weed, but I don't. You'll have to ask someone else."
R.B: "For reals? I'm sorry... this is really awkward... you just look like someone who would know where to get it."
Me: "Umm... no, I don't"
R.B: "Ok well thanks anyways."
Me: "Yeah, uh huh... no problem..."

After class was over I went to the counseling center to meet with a counselor about transfering to BYU next year. I walked up to the desk, signed in and then sat down to wait for my name to be called. The next thing I know another random kid sits down next to me and after a few minutes he turns to face me and this is the conversation that followed:

Random Boy #2: "Hi, I'm Mark. What's your name?"
Me: "Hi, I'm Brooke."
R.B.2: "What are you here for?"
Me: "I just need to make sure I have everything I need to transfer next year."
R.B.2: "Oh, cool, where are you planning on transfering to?"
Me: "BYU"
R.B.2: "Isn't that a Mormon school?"
Me: "Yeah..."
R.B.2: "You're not Mormon are you?"
Me: "Yeah..."
R.B.2: "Hmm... weird. You don't seem friendly enough to be a Mormon. All the Mormons I know are like bursting at the seams with friendliness... and you're not. No offense or anything."
Me: "Oh. I don't really know what to say to that. I can assure you that I am Mormon.. sorry to disappoint you with my non-friendliness. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go."
R.B.2: "Alright, well it was nice chatting with you Brooke. Good luck with BYU!"
Me: "Yeah, thanks."

So in the span of 2 hours I learned that I look like a stoner and that I'm not nice enough to be Mormon- from two complete strangers nonetheless. Wonderful. I'd just like to make it clear that I am NOT a burn-out and that I actually am a fairly nice individual (I just have a tendency to look mean when I'm thinking- I got it from my mom)- just in case you had any doubts :)

1 comment:

  1. haha so funny.. yeah. when i moved to canada for the first few months a lot of people thought i was a stoner.. silly randoms..

    ReplyDelete